Friday, January 16, 2015

How He Loves

…how good is a timely word!
—Proverbs 15:23 

“What? Just five days into my plan, and you fail me!” I talked to my tablet, as if that would help. I poked and prodded, opened and closed. But my daily Bible reading plan refused to appear.

I shook my head, Why did I ever sign up for this? I should have stuck with the old way.

Recently I told a friend that each year I choose a different version of the Bible to read and that I just purchased the English Standard Version. I boasted how I bought the study Bible half-price on New Year’s Day.

Casually she mentioned, “You can do that on your tablet. You can choose whatever version you want on the Bible app.”

“I know, but I like holding an actual Bible.”

But when another friend told me that he too used the Bible app, I thought, Perhaps it’s time for me to check it out.


When I did, I was sold.

But when the daily plan failed to load, I questioned my decision. Now what?

You could always open that brand new Bible, I told myself.

But I don’t even know which passages to read for today, I argued.

I’m a creature of habit. I function best in routine. If my morning routine is obstructed, the rest of my day is off-kilter.

Lord, I want to read Your Word this morning. I want to hear what You have to say to me today, I groaned.

We could always have a chat.

Haha, I guess we can, Lord. I certainly have more time for prayer this morning.

And so I prayed. Mentally I followed my prayer list, checking off each concern as I went—as is my usual routine. And I closed, Lord, You know how much I want a companion, my forever mate. Please send Him to me. And then I paused. Unless You don’t want that, unless You want me all to Yourself, because You’re jealous for me (Nahum 1:2).

Turn on the radio.

Huh?

I usually don’t turn on the radio in the morning. I turn it off…when it wakes me. And then I leave it alone. But I was obedient and flipped on the switch.

“And oh, how He loves us, oh…Oh, how He loves us, how He loves us all…He is jealous for me…”

“Haha!” I literally laughed out loud, “God, You are amazing! Those very words I just prayed!”

My feet were glued in place, as I continued to listen to the rest of the David Crowder song.

“…loves like a hurricane, I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy
When all of a sudden I am unaware of these afflictions
Eclipsed by glory and I realize just how beautiful You are
And how great Your affections are for me…” (written by John Mark McMillan)

The song ended, and then I heard a voice, “The right song at the right time.”

“Hahahahaha!”

Yes, it was.

Dear God, thank You for all the ways You speak to me...through the Bible, e-version or otherwise, songs, radio announcers, and chats. Through it all, I know I am loved. And I love You back.

How is God speaking to you today?


P.S. My Bible app worked fine the very next day and has worked every day since.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...'probably just a coincidence...NOT! You know, if God can speak through Balaam's donkey to convey His message, He can certainly use a Christian radio announcer!

    I was recently convicted through a song about how little of my day is spent with the Lord. It was Mercy Me's "Word of God Speak":

    I'm finding myself at a loss for words
    And the funny thing is it's okay
    The last thing I need is to be heard
    But to hear what You would say

    Word of God speak
    Would You pour down like rain
    Washing my eyes to see
    Your majesty

    To be still and know
    That You're in this place
    Please let me stay and rest
    In Your holiness
    Word of God speak

    I'm finding myself in the midst of You
    Beyond the music, beyond the noise
    All that I need is to be with You
    And in the quiet hear Your voice

    Word of God speak
    Would You pour down like rain
    Washing my eyes to see
    Your majesty

    To be still and know
    That You're in this place
    Please let me stay and rest
    In Your holiness
    Word of God speak

    Word of God speak
    Would You pour down like rain
    Washing my eyes to see
    Your majesty

    To be still and know
    That You're in this place
    Please let me stay and rest
    In Your holiness
    Word of God speak

    I'm finding myself at a loss for words
    And the funny thing is it's okay


    Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/mercy-me/word-of-god-speak-lyrics/#vdAwySy9XiIoRiM4.99

    Listen to it at the above website or on youtube and see how God speaks to you.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!