Saturday, May 19, 2018

Cast All Your Care


Cast all your care upon Him, because He cares for you.

One unseasonably warm day in February when my daughter Emma and son-in-law Ricky, along with their two children, were visiting, we all went for a walk on the farm. True to our habit, we stopped at the pond for four-year-old Layla to throw in a few stones. Ricky joined her and challenged himself to throw a stone as far as he could. I watched the concentration on his face as he intently cocked his arm. Then with all the finesse of a Major League Baseball pitcher, he hurled the rock, shooting it higher and farther than I had ever seen. It smacked the water hard, then sunk below the surface, its entrance marked only by ripples that quickly disappeared, returning the pond to its placid state.




I couldn’t help but wonder if Ricky’s pitching exercise was more of a stress-reliever than a throwing challenge. He had had a lot on his mind, particularly praying about his next position in ministry. Was throwing the rock a symbolic act of casting his cares upon the Lord (1 Peter 5:7)?

Ricky’s rock sunk to the bottom of the pond. There was no way to get it back. Not a trace of it remained. All that was left was a peaceful pond, a beautiful view, and the warmth of family.

Two months later Ricky knew where God had called him. Austin, Texas, 1500 miles away. The announcement felt like a punch to my gut. How could they move and take the grandchildren that far from me? I couldn’t bear the thought of it.

I asked if I could have some one-on-one time with Layla. I picked her up on a Friday and concentrated on spending quality time with her. On Saturday per her request, we ate breakfast on the porch. Then we went to the marine museum, one of her favorite places. We watched fish swim and otters dance. I wanted to dance too. But I couldn’t. My heart felt as heavy as a rock. We climbed a lighthouse and took pictures. On the outside I was smiling, but on the inside crying. Later we visited an alpaca farm. And in her words, Layla did something scary. She fed the alpacas from her hand. She was brave.

Then we visited my parents. While their words sounded brave, their faces told me otherwise. When it was time to leave, Layla paused at the car door and drew a picture in its dusty cloak. A stick figure picture of me (she said). Then she added a sun, its rays extending all around. I thought that was a perfect picture of her, Layla bringing sunshine to me and all those around her. Mom and Dad stood on the porch and watched us leave. Slowly, they lifted their hands and waved. I knew what they were thinking. I turned my face away to hide the tears that were threatening to overflow.

There was one more thing Layla wanted to do. But when I saw the fishermen at the water’s edge, I explained to her we would have to do that at another time.

We spent the rest of the evening playing KerPlunk, laughing when we lost our marbles. Then we read bedtime stories, including one of our favorites, I’ll Love You Forever. I gave Layla her own hardback copy and read to her my inscription, choking back the tears once again. She snuggled close to me. “I’ll love you forever, Grandma,” she said and drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, Layla joined me as I exercised. Then we had breakfast and fit in one last game of KerPlunk before we headed out to church. I told her we would meet Mommy and Papi after church. As we came to the end of my driveway, I stopped to check for oncoming cars. Noticing the pond straight ahead, Layla said, “Grandma, after church we can throw—” She stopped short, but I knew what she was thinking. My throat tightened.

Then she quickly added, “Grandma, maybe tomorrow you can throw rocks.”

Yes, Layla, maybe I do need to throw some rocks.

Lord, my heart is as heavy as a rock. I don’t know how I can bear this pain. Help me, Lord. Change my view. Give me Your peace and return my heart to its placid state. Amen.

Footnote:

Emma, Ricky, and family are now in Austin and enjoying their new home and place of ministry. I am happy for them and excited to see what God will bring for them in this new season of their life. And I am extremely grateful that through the use of technology I can still see them.

If you are experiencing your own season of grief or weighed down with many burdens, be encouraged that God loves you and cares for you. He is with you through it all and will sustain you. He will strengthen you and help you; He will uphold you with His righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10). Cast all your cares upon Him (1 Peter 5:7). Even if you have to perform your own symbolic act of throwing stones, do it! Just make sure you won’t hurt anyone/anything in the process. Jesus is waiting with outstretched arms. He calls out, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

He will restore your broken heart (Psalm 147:3) and give you His peace (John 14:27). I know that to be true.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, He is the One on Whom we should cast our prayers. Only Jesus can satisfy your(my) soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desiree, I know exactly how you feel. My sister moved to Spain two and half years ago taking my two nephews and niece with her. I use Messenger or Skype to stay in touch with them. I even read books to them over the phone. It is definitely not the same as having them with me but it works. I have also taken two wonderful trips to Spain and will be there again in a few weeks. This post made me cry because I know this is so hard and my heart breaks for you! Hopefully his next position will be closer to home. Love you, Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thank you for sharing your own story. I'm so happy you will be able to visit them in Spain soon. I will be traveling to Austin this summer. Love and hugs to you.

      Delete
  3. Mine moved to Jacksonville Florida. I prayed and prayed but still managed to sink into depression. Fortunately, He answers our prayers in His time and my depression only lasted a few short years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly does answer our prayers. I'm glad you are doing better. Thanks for reading and sharing!

      Delete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!