Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Right Tools for the Job: Using your tools to conquer everyday problems


Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

With my toddler grandson, Javier, coming to visit, I decided it was time to add to my toy collection. At the thrift store, my eye caught glimpse of a posable brown-eyed repairman figure wearing a red and white cap and a pencil behind his ear. I picked him up and turned him over to check the price. Marked on the sole of his work boot was $1. What a deal!

Placing him in my cart, I discovered something more magical than the price.

“Let’s get to work!” he said.

Huh?

As I pushed my cart toward the check-out line, he said, “Abuelito needs our help. Let’s bring the tools!”

Abuelito? Isn’t that Spanish for grandfather? What a perfect find for my bicultural grandson!

When I introduced him to Javier, my daughter Rebekah piped up, “That’s Manny!”

Later I learned from my four-year-old granddaughter Addison that he is actually Handy Manny and that he has his own TV show.

I did some research and discovered that the Handy Manny Disney program is set in the town of Sheetrock Hills where Manny owns a repair shop. He and his companions, the talking tools, not only teach basic Spanish words and phrases, but they also give lessons on problem-solving and conquering everyday problems. Their mantra is: “You break it—we fix it.”

Squeeze (the pliers) straightens wire, while Flicker (the flashlight) shines light in dark areas. Pinzas (the needle nose pliers) retrieves items from hard to reach places, Jack (the jackhammer) breaks concrete, and Dusty (the hand saw) divides.

Pressing Manny’s belt buckle makes him talk (that, along with jostling him in a shopping cart). He says things like, “Mr. Lopart needs our help. C’mon!” and “We’ll need a hard hat for this job. Safety first!”

And when I grab him by his right hand, he says, “Let’s get fixing!”

I like Manny. So positive and encouraging! And he stresses the importance of teamwork and using the right tools for the job. Great lessons for anyone, no matter your age—even this grandma.

There are days when problems come at me left and right, some of my own doing and others imposed on me. I can become overwhelmed, even depressed at times. You might call me Ms. Lopart—because parts of me get quite low.

It’s in those moments that Handy Manny serves as a great reminder for me to call for help from my companions—the talking tools that empower me to conquer as well (Romans 8:37), like the belt I can strap on to tap into the truth of God’s word (Ephesians 6:14).

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than Dusty the Hand Saw, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

It is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. Like Flicker, it shines a light into those hard to reach areas and straightens us out better than Squeeze. It gives understanding and direction and helps us do what is right (2 Timothy 3:16, Psalm 119:105, 130).

Indeed, the word of God talks to us. In return, we can use it to talk to our problems, for it is mightier than a jackhammer for tearing down strongholds and casting down arguments (2 Corinthians 10:4-5). We know this, for Jesus set the example when He was tempted by the enemy at the brink of His earthly ministry (Matthew 4:1-11).

Later, as Jesus was leaving the earth, He assured His disciples that the Companion, the Holy Spirit, would come and remind them of everything He had told them (John 14:26).

The Holy Spirit is our Companion too, and He is still in the reminding business, bringing a word to mind just when we need it and empowering us to carry out God’s will and conquer those everyday problems.

Do you have some problems to solve? Some broken parts that need to be fixed?

Take a hint from Handy Manny and get to work. Put on your impenetrable hard hat of salvation, buckle on the tool belt of truth, and fit your feet with your work boots. Then enlist the aid of your talking tools.

Most of all, “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Isaiah 41:10).

Hmm…couldn’t Manny be a nickname for Emmanuel, God with us?

Dear God,

Thank You for being with me always. I know that when I am dismayed, I can reach for Your right hand, and You will say, “Let’s get fixing!

Thank You for taking all my broken parts and building something of worth from dust.

And lastly, thank You for all the ways you talk to me and remind me. But Lord… the next time I forget to put on my full armor, could You remind me of that too?

Thanks.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!