Saturday, November 12, 2011

Back to the Drawing Board!

Well, I tried.  I submitted my proposal and manuscript to a literary agent who I had set my hopes on to mediate a contract on my behalf--only to receive a prompt reply that he did not represent children's books.  Hmm...back to the drawing board, I guess.

A drawing board is an architect's or draftsman's table.  According to Phrase Finder, the phrase "back to the drawing board" has been around since the WWII era and was used in conjunction with a failed design that needed to be tweaked.



As a technology teacher, I am all too familiar with the sequencial engineering design process consisting of five basic steps.  I know that "trying" is Step 4:  Model and test the solution.  I also know that when the test fails, I need to go back to the drawing board--Step 2, that is--to develop possible solutions.

So, I pull out my trusty "Christian Writers' Market Guide" and turn to the list of agents.  Skimming the list, I highlight possible solutions--something I should have done prior to this point.  However--to quote another saying--I had placed all my eggs in one basket.  But I firmly believe that all things happen for a reason.  What was God teaching me through this disappointment?  Patience?  Perhaps.  Perseverance?  Likely.

God has marked this race for me.  He has set up mileposts along the way.  Therefore, I will "run with perseverance the race marked out for me," keeping my eyes fixed on Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-2).  I trust that in keeping the faith, I will one day finish this race and that "there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

Keep your eyes open for those glimpses of God, those God-appearing mileposts.  And when you discover the course He's directed you to take, fix your eyes on Jesus and you will finish the race.  Sure, there may be bumps in the road, obstacles that may slow you down, temporary detours, or even a tumble that causes you to scrape your knee, but never give up--never quit.

Get back up and "try, try again!"

1 comment:

  1. Desiree, just by reading this post, I can see that you're a gifted writer in many ways. More importantly the Spirit of Christ that lives in you is AWE-some! I know that one day, you will be published and I'll be telling people how I knew you "back in the day." May God prosper this important work...BTW, my wife is the "Children's Minister" and Director of Christian Education at our church, so she loves children's books too. Yours in Christ, Jim Swecker

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!