Thursday, June 28, 2012

Imagine

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.—Ephesians 3:20-21

If you know me, you know of my desire to publish my children’s Christmas book, The Prettiest Sight to See:  A Story of the Holly Wreath.  You may also know that some of my friends gave me a beautiful berry-laden holly bush for Christmas last year and that I planted it in a symbolic act of faith, trusting God to bring a fruitful harvest.  As suggested, I planted the tree alongside my driveway so I would see the gentle reminder every time I drove by.  In front of the holly, I positioned a yard ornament emblazoned “Believe.”  Perfect!
Several months passed by, and without fail, each time I passed I turned my eyes toward the shrub, believing one day my prayer would be answered.  Then one day I noticed that the once beautiful plant with lush green foliage polka dotted with red was bare.  I gasped.  What happened?!  A few scraggly brown sticks was all that remained.  What does this mean, God?  Certainly my dream hasn’t died, has it?  I believed, God. Why would You allow my symbol of hope to succumb?


I was afraid to share the bad news with my friends.  What did I do wrong?  I heard a sermon about dreams and how those that aren’t watered wither and die.  Had I not worked hard enough?  Or was the death of the holly a natural consequence of physical drought?
When Mother’s Day approached, I asked my daughter, who works for a nursery, to give me a new holly tree.  I decided the new holly would be a representation of rejuvenation, as I planned to leave for a writers conference the following week to learn more about the writing craft and hopefully place my manuscript in the hands of an editor of my favored publishing house. In the busyness of planning to travel, I neglected to plant my new holly but made sure to water it daily.
As I hoped, I was able to hand off my manuscript to a Zondervan editor, who promised to forward it to a children’s book editor at her organization.  Upon my return home, I promptly emailed documents to the editor as requested. 
A month passed and I had yet to receive a confirmation of receipt.  A month passed and I had yet to plant the holly tree.  Where should I plant it?  Would planting it in the same spot where the original holly had died be a good idea?  I inspected the spot.  My eyes widened.  Shiny new leaves had sprouted at the base of the shrub and encircled the dead uprights like a wreath.  My holly isn’t dead!  And neither is my dream.  God is the ultimate promise-keeper.  Forgive me, Lord, for doubting.
I planted the new holly a few feet from the original.  Then I knelt to trim away the dead branches from the first one, whispering a prayer. Thank You, God, for reviving the holly, renewing my hope.  I trust You to make my dream come true.  Then I recalled that the yard ornament, which beckoned me to "believe," also held an inscription on the reverse.  I turned the ornament around and beheld its call to “imagine.” Yes, Lord, I believe You will do immeasurably more than all I could ask or imagine.
Three days later I received an email from the assistant to the Senior Vice President of Zonderkidz, the children’s division of Zondervan. My manuscript is under review.

Dear Lord, thank You for all the ways You remind us (like two holly trees in my yard!) to place our hope in You, for You will multiply our blessings--and do more than we could ever imagine.


4 comments:

  1. Desiree! What a wonderful inspiring story! I'm praying that your manuscript will bear much fruit! What a blessing to have hope restored and your goal affirmed by God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! You too are an inspiration!

      Delete
    2. Well, Desiree, I think you have "Outblogged" yourself this go round!"Imagine" had a light air to the thoughts you are trying to put across. It said to me, personally, try to stay away from negativity in your life and imagine what blessngs will bestow you, when you are feeling not all is especially not going well. Only One is able to predict the future and when you put faith with Him...there are unlimited uses of your imaginations inself yourself...

      Delete
    3. Desiree,
      Back in school I always knew you were going places and going to make a difference in this world and you are doing just that! I have been down and depressed lately but after reading this, you made me realize just how important it is to (1) never give up on what you believe in (2) always place your faith in "God"
      because he will be there for you guiding you thru whatever maybe going on in your life and he will definitely be with you each and every step of the way. "Thank you" for making me see this and opening my eyes up... I needed that!! I will always think of you as my friend that will always be there for "all" whether we get to see each other on a day to day basis or not... Stacey Alvey

      Delete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!