Saturday, October 5, 2013

Very Truly Volunteers


Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.—John 12:24

 “It’s a jungle out here!” my mother called, approaching my back deck.  “Jungle” was a good word for my overzealous overflowing tomato plants that are more like thriving trees. They have overtaken my flower beds, subduing rose bushes, camouflaging shrubs, and now running up both sides of the steps, depositing a red-ripe harvest right on my doorstep.

Amazed at my abundant garden, all my visitors ask, “What’s your secret?”  But the truth is nothing.  I did absolutely nothing.  No planting, no fertilizing—nothing. The plants are products of nature called volunteers.  Last year rotten tomatoes fell to the ground, and the seeds replanted themselves, producing an even greater harvest this year.  Now I have more tomatoes than I could ever eat!  And gathering them is also a challenge.  Many are ripe but difficult to reach. I lean over luxuriant leaves, being careful not to break them, and stretch as far as I can in order to reach those beneath the edge of the deck. Others grow in and around angry rose bushes that attack with vicious thorns when I approach the plump rubies. 

As I eyed this morning’s triple-basket boon, I knew it was well-worth the effort.  I beamed as a slung a basket over my arm and opened the kitchen door.  My next task would be washing off the “jungle” that still clung to some of my precious produce.

My volunteers remind me of those who volunteer for the Lord.  In answer to the Lord’s call, “Whom shall I send?”, these selfless individuals spring to their feet with an enthusiastic “Here am I.  Send me!” (Isaiah 6:8)  Ready and willing to go wherever the Lord leads— to the jungle or “the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8), many leave loved ones behind and set out on a missionary journey with meager belongings, having sold most of what they’ve owned to help finance their mission.  They toil in treacherous territory, living among angry dangerous thorns, but labor nonetheless to reach the lost. And if the truth be said, many have even given their lives so others may live.

I can’t imagine how pleased the Lord must be when his volunteers usher in a harvest—right up the steps to their eternal home. But there is more work to be done.  Jesus “said to his disciples, ‘The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.’” (Matthew 9:37-38)

Today we will celebrate Missions Sunday in our church. Let us pray for more workers.  Let us pray for those who are already in the field.  And let us volunteer to do our part.  Jesus said, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” (Mark 16:15) This is a command to all Christians.  Let us consider how we may obey.  What's in our nature? Sharing the good news with those we live among or sharing our resources so others may “go”—even if it means stretching the budget as far as we can?  Obedience to whatever or however the Lord leads will be well-worth the effort—and the sacrifice. 

Dear Lord, thank You for missionaries on foreign soil and those who serve close by.  May I be obedient to Your command in supporting them and sharing Your good news wherever You lead.  If You can use me, Lord, here am I, Your volunteer! I know that I’m not perfect and that some of the jungle still clings to me. But one day may I be worthy of the calling, “trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He might be glorified.” (Isaiah 61:3) Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Desiree,

    How I thank God for the encouraging words He gave you this week! May we all be faithful to do that for which the Lord has called us. In fact, He has already prepared good works for us, that we should walk in them (Ephesians 2:10). What follows is a good example of that:

    Several years ago, a pastor felt led to get in touch with a friend of his from seminary who was now ministering in Kentucky. Upon doing an Internet search to find him, he came across Kentucky Mountain Mission. When he called, the director, William Owens, answered the phone. “Well, I’m not the person you’re looking for,” he exclaimed, “But what kind of work do you do?” “Well,” the pastor replied, “We’ve done some food distribution and vacation Bible schools.” Almost as an aside, he added, “Oh, and we’ve led some dental mission trips to Guatemala.” Mr. Owens was incredulous. “We’ve been prayin’ for ten years that God would send us some dentists. Would you come?”

    Thus began a ministry that is now in its tenth year. A group of dentists, dental hygienists, and workers have gone down to Beattyville, KY each Columbus Day weekend since 2004. We set up a dental clinic in the gymnasium of Youth Haven Bible Camp. Dental exams, cleanings, fillings, and extractions are provided without charge. Patients begin lining up at 3:00 in the morning! As they enter the clinic, each one is presented with the good news of salvation in Jesus Christ. They are also treated with an abundance of kindness, courtesy, and respect. Many have told us that they can sense the love of Jesus shining through us. Isn’t that just how the Savior ministered to people while He was on earth?

    St. Theresa once said, “Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which He looks with compassion on this world.” As your church celebrates Missions Sunday, please ask them to pray for us. May we have safety as we travel, endurance as we work long days, and compassion for each person that we touch. May their hearts be as wide open as their mouths and may a fruitful harvest of souls take place.



    ReplyDelete
  2. This really encouraged me this morning. Thank you so much for sharing this! It reminds me of our tomato garden at home and how we had an abundant harvest every other day.. and how it reminded me how pleased God is with those that produce much fruit. I can only pray that we are all like these abundant tomato plants and that we bear fruit for Christ, and do it ALL for His glory! What an awesome analogy, thanks for it this morning! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Simply awesome. Love you, Desiree!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again! The comments above were awesome! Your explanation with the tomatoes leading into the giving as Christ has given us is very influential in helping "laypersons" understand why we have Missions, and how important they are in giving back to others who need to know Him in their lives. This was one of your more powerful writings yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Desiree,

    Another wonderful message!! Again you made me stop and contemplate. You’ve got me thinking and examining what I’m currently doing to serve the Lord and wondering what more I could and should do. Your blogs always inspire me to take a timeout and reflect and this week was no different. I love this week’s analogy of the volunteer tomatoes and the harvest they produce and how you’ve applied it to those who volunteer, go, and produce a harvest for the Lord. If I may, I’d like to recommend a two volume book series I think your readers might enjoy that goes along well with your topic; it’s called Jesus Freaks by dc Talk and it describes the lives of different martyrs for Christ. It’s a wonderful book series and goes great with your wonderful message.

    Thanks again for taking the time to share your fantastic gift of drawing incredible, inspiring, Christian messages from every day aspects of life. You truly have a God given gift to paint a wonderful story and weave God’s Word into it so that I always feel enriched and blessed by them. Thank you Desiree.

    Sincerely and God bless,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!