Friday, September 27, 2013

Idioms, Peculiarities, and Personal Satisfaction


Let everyone be sure to do his very best, for then he will have the personal satisfaction of work done well and won’t need to compare himself with someone else.—Galatians 6:4


Okay, I admit it.  That bugs me.  There, I’ve said it.  What I’m talking about are those random spires of sorghum that rise far above the rest of the field.  I can’t help but notice them as I drive past—a peculiar sight that sticks out like a sore thumb. I imagine myself furiously slicing the stalks to line up with their neighbors.  But why?  Why do the overachieving shoots of grain bother me so much?  Is it because I prefer tidiness and clean lines—even, straight lines?  It’s true that a well-groomed lawn without a blade out of place is like a breath of fresh air to me.  And evenly aligned desks in my classroom make my heart sing. But could my annoyance over the perceived anomaly in the sorghum field stem from something much deeper?

Lately I’ve been feeling like I’m behind the curve at work.  A few of my colleagues are flaunting cool technology in their classrooms, while I’m still trying to install the software—let alone use it.  They’re head and shoulders above the rest of us.  That bugs me.  But why?  Can I not celebrate their success without getting my nose out of joint?  Do I have to keep up with the Joneses?  Why do I want to be like them?  Is it fear that they will get noticed by the principal and I will not?  For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man?”—Galatians 1:10

Of course God wants us to do our best on the job, for His word says, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” (Colossians 3:23-24) But we need to be wary of comparing ourselves to others, for it can lead to envy and jealousy. And “wherever there is jealousy or selfish ambition, there will be disorder and every other kind of evil.” (James 3:16) Instead, “Let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't.” (Romans 12:6 MSG)

And if the task before us seems daunting, let us remember the words of the psalmist, “The Lord is on my side; I will not fear.  What can man do to me?” (Psalm 118:6)  “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” (2 Timothy 1:7)  Let us download our daily dose of power and “run with endurance the race that is set before us” (Hebrews 12:1)—the race that He has set before us.  We are not in a competition.  Each of us has to run our own race that has been mapped out by the Master Cartographer, including hills and valleys, detours and scenic routes—and even spurs along wavy fields of grain.  And all He expects from His peculiar people is that we do our very best and never quit, sending waves of praise along the way.

Dear Lord, forgive me for comparing myself to others.  I know You have chosen me to run a unique course. Help me to run with endurance that I may complete it. And one day may I hear Your words, “Well done, good and faithful servant...Enter into the joy of your lord.” (Matthew 25:23)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Desiree,

    Another wonderful message!!! Thank you for reminding me to be humble, keeping my eyes on the Lord’s will for me as I go about my daily journey with Him. It is tempting to compare ourselves with others and be a bit envious of their successes and when we do we’ve taken our eyes off God and put them on ourselves. This post is a great reminder to keep our heart and mind turned to the Lord and look to Him for our reassurance and strength. Thank you Desiree for your inspiring message.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good PM Desiree-Got a bit behind on reading my mail! Still can't remember which name I should go under (comment as)? Just so you get my response! Another Blog that hits me right in the gut. Each you write seems to relate directly to me, as it probably does to others. I used to be a perfectionist and to some extent, still am. Never thought(very infrequent) about what other people's life is about, what they had materially, envy what they had but I didn't, etc. I had(have) a fulfilled life. But there has been a lack of guidance from Him(at my own fault) to try and understand why I feel this envy sometimes, at this point in my life. Pretty sure my illness has a huge impact about the way I feel and see things. I am a pessimist and in an emotional and saddened state. I want so much to put my prayers and hopelessness into God's hands, but I feel like...neglected. I cannot tell you why I have so much doubt. I wish I knew what I want to express. words don't come easy for me, as they do for you. You do inspire each week, no matter what the subject is; sometimes you have to read between the lines! Your words help me stay on track as much as possible at this particular time and I more than need that and I thank you. You leave room for whoever reads your writings to reflect on what you are trying to get across as well as turning yourself to Christ, will help with misgivings about why we think a certain way. I'm probably rambling, but I enjoyed this Blog very much...love, pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your latest installment on The Looking Glass. Colossians 3:23,24 is engraved on a plaque that hangs in the reception area of our office. It serves as a constant reminder of Who I’m really working for. Interestingly enough, though, it was the passage from Matthew that really struck a chord with me.
    In our dental practice, we strive to keep up with the latest technologies: digital x-rays, dental implants, and CAD/CAM crowns. All of those things are great, but that’s not what I went into dentistry for. As a college student, it was my privilege to work as a dental assistant at The Los Angeles Free Clinic. Although it was a secular organization, the thing that impressed me the most was that the dentist could get patients out of pain immediately! “What an incredible gift,” I thought back then and still think about now.
    There is a ministry in Fairfax, The Lamb Center, which ministers to the homeless. If someone comes in there with a toothache, they send him or her over to us. A man from Morocco came into the Center the other day. He hadn’t slept in two days because he was in so much pain. The x-rays that we took showed a couple of abscessed teeth. In less than forty minutes, we were able to anesthetize him, remove the offending teeth, and send him on his way rejoicing. He clearly gave thanks to God for providing care for him through us.
    Although I enjoy doing comprehensive dentistry for patients, I wonder what will be left as a legacy to me. Someday, all of the crowns, fillings, and bridges will end up in the grave, but it’s the souls of men and women that are eternal. It’s having an impact for the gospel on people like the man from Morocco that really matters.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!