Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Christmas Coat

And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ
Ephesians 4:11-12

I spotted it when pulling my winter clothes from my cedar chest—the minuscule red coat trimmed in white.  Would this fit Layla? I wondered, as I examined the aged garment I wore when I was six months old.

I knew I had to try.

I placed the freshly-laundered cloak on the bed and then my squirmy six month-old granddaughter on top. With no more than a slight struggle, I maneuvered her chubby arms into the sleeves and crowned her with the rosy hood, its fuzzy white edging encircling her cherubic face like a halo. I tightened the hood strings and lifted her up for the final reveal.

The hand-me-down Christmas coat was a picture-perfect fit!

I love hand-me-downs—and don’t mind wearing them.  I remember, as a kid, sporting hand-me-downs from my older cousins and thinking I was “cool” just like them. And then there was my mother’s wedding dress. It too was a perfect fit.  Hand-me-downs saved me money, yes. But it was more than that.  Wearing them meant wearing a part of the giver.


I know some folks won’t wear hand-me-downs, but there are times when hand-me-downs are in order. I recall the Old Testament story of a hand-me-down coat called a mantle, which was a garment of distinction worn by kings and prophets. This particular prophet Elijah led a school of prophets, and one of his pupils was Elisha. But their relationship went beyond teacher-student. Elijah was Elisha’s mentor, and Elisha was his attendant.  In confirmation of Elisha’s gift of ministry, “Elijah passed by him [Elisha] and threw his mantle on him” (1 Kings 19:19).

Recognize and Mentor
As Elijah recognized Elisha’s gift and mentored him in that direction, we are called to do the same.  Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” This verse is widely considered an admonition to parents about child-rearing.  But I think it’s important to note the article “a.”  Train up a child.  Your child, someone else’s child, or any child of God.  Also important is "the way he should go." When we spot a gift, whether a natural talent or a gift of ministry (Ephesians 4:11-12), we should encourage in that direction—and provide formal training when necessary.

Hand Down Your Faith
Another parenting admonition comes from Deuteronomy 11:19: “You shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.”  Talk it out as you walk it out.  Explain why you take certain paths—how your values impact your decisions.

Wear Your Christmas Coat
Every believer has received a gift(s)and a calling. It is only because of Jesus that we have received our gift—that we may “use it to serve one another as good stewards of the varied grace of God” (1 Peter 4:10).  When Elijah left this earth, Elisha took his place in ministry. When Jesus left the earth, He instructed His followers to carry out His work. He has thrown His mantle upon us, and it is a perfect fit.  He has gifted us for His calling. This Christmas let us use these gifts to glorify Him.  If our gift is singing, let us sing.  If it is teaching, let us teach. “If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God” (1 Peter 4:11). Sing Christmas carols. Teach your children the true Christmas story.  Speak about it as you walk through the shopping mall, as you wrap presents, and bake cookies. 

Pull Your Coat From Storage
Perhaps you haven’t used your gift in a while. Perhaps you've questioned your gift and your calling.  Let me encourage you. “God’s gracious gifts and calling are irrevocable” (Romans 11:29). If your once fiery passion has died down to embers, l exhort you to fan it into flame (2 Timothy 1:6).  Dust off that piano and play once again. Volunteer to teach that class. Wear the garment of praise (Isaiah 61:3). Wear your mantle, and wear it well.

Now I’m not a linguist, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that a mantle crowns a fireplace.  Take up your mantle. And may your fire burn brightly for Him, so others will want your hand-me-downs.

Dear Lord, thank You for Your gifts.  May I use them to glorify You and to mentor others.  And may my hand-me-downs be worthy of wearing. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Desiree, for your poignant commentary. It's true what you said about the passing on of a mantle. God has blessed me with a number of godly mentors over the years. One was a Christian dentist with whom I worked for 12 years. He modeled Christ-like behavior in all that he did. Through him, I learned what it means to be a true Christian businessman.

    It appears that the Lord has blessed me with the spiritual gift of service. He gives me such joy in providing dental care to others, especially to those who are not in a position to pay for it. A dentist in Blacksburg modeled sacrificial living to me as we worked together in Mexico. In ministering together, he and I have slept on some of the finest cement floors in Central America!

    Yesterday, I had the privilege of serving another dentist who was my roommate in dental school. He had shoulder surgery last Monday, so I saw some of his patients in his office. It was a busy day, but a good one. The Lord has given me a peculiar joy in performing dental procedures on people (Weird, huh?). To others, God gives them a peculiar joy in teaching Sunday School to children. The Lord has given you, Desiree, the joy of teaching the Word of God through your writing; others, by singing.

    Each one of us in the body of Christ are edified when the other members are exercising their gifts. Thank you for sharing yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desiree, Thank you so much for taking the time and using your God given gift to glorify our King! I look forward to reading your devotionals and watching God work in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful Christmas blog!!! Thank you! pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a beatiful Xmas gift that you give to us readers God keep blessing you with the inpiration for others to be benefit .Grace Echeona

      Delete
  4. Okay, Desiree! You wrote something that struck a cord with me. Something that I have been pushing you to do since you started this blog... "Also important is "the way he should go." When we spot a gift, whether a natural talent or a gift of ministry (Ephesians 4:11-12), we should encourage in that direction."

    I spot in your writing valid sermons. Either stand up at the altar and share your sermon, or have someone else read it for you. Some of your messages need to be shared with the non-reading world. :)

    Just my thoughts on your God-given talent!

    Love,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!