Sunday, September 14, 2014

Good Report


Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
—Philippians 4:8
 

The wheel jerked sharply to the left and then I heard it. Thump, thump, thump. 

Oh, no! A flat tire! 

Quickly I maneuvered my car to the shoulder and got out to inspect.  

Yep, just as I suspected, I groaned. Now what? I don’t know how to change a tire. 

I glanced at the time. 5:45. The farewell dinner for one of my best friends would begin in 15 minutes…without me. 

No, Lord, that can’t happen. I can’t miss this. What should I do? 

I called my son, hoping he was close by, en route from work, but he wasn’t. He offered to come, but I knew that by the time he got to my location, I would’ve missed most of the event. 

I called a couple of friends, but they were already at the restaurant. If they left to get me, we’d all be late and I’d still have a flat tire, for none of us were up to changing it. 

“Don’t you have AAA?” Margaret suggested. 

“Yeah, but I don’t have time to wait for them.” 

Then I remembered Joyce, another friend who I had spoken to earlier. She told me she was coming but would be late. I clicked her number. 

“I’ll pick you up in a few minutes,” she said when I explained my situation. 

“Thank you! I just want to get to the restaurant and deal with the car later.” 

I pulled my car to a grassy spot, a safe distance from rushing vehicles, and got in with Joyce. While she drove, I called AAA. The kind voice who answered assured me that they would take care of my flat tire upon my return from the event. 

We arrived at the Mexican restaurant just in time to place our order along with the other 20 guests. We didn’t miss a thing—other than the traditional appetizer, chips and salsa. 

The next morning I queried my students in my personal living class about their homework assignment to record five things that were good about their day. It was an exercise on the benefits of a positive attitude. 

“I got to take a nap.” 

“I didn’t have any homework.” 

“I saw my baby nephew.” 

Then I offered my own reflection.

“You wouldn’t normally think that having a flat tire or running late to a party are good things. But for me, they were. Because my friend was running late, she was able to pick me up when I had a flat tire. And because we both arrived late to the restaurant, we missed chips and salsa. And you might not think that was a good thing either. But for me, it was. You see, I’m trying to lose weight, and chips and salsa are a weakness for me. If they had been placed before me, I wouldn’t have been able to resist.” 

What if that were your homework assignment? Could you pick the good out of your day?

Dear God, thank You for how You work all things together for my good (Romans 8:28)—and for helping me see the good in all things. And thank You, God, for providing yet another “way out” (1 Corinthians 10:13) for me. Amen.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!