Saturday, July 4, 2015

Like Fireworks on Independence Day

Not my usual post, but one of my poems I've resurrected for Independence Day...

It was my job. Clean
the church. 
Dust, sweep, vacuum.
Mother.
I brought my trio along,
Baby Emma in the stroller. The other two
were old enough to help
straighten Bibles, hymn books, kneelers.
That church sang to my spirit,
its history seeped into my soul.
Colonists sought freedom.
So did I.  Freedom from
venomous condemnation
and alcohol-laced abuse.
Sunlight streamed, spilling
hope unto wooden pews and lighting
the aisle with splashes of color
reflecting from stained glass windows.
The church bells rang out
carols, the message of the birth
of a Savior, Who came to bring
freedom.
The church bells rang out
clear, a message
to me.
And sunlight
lit my path like fireworks on
Independence Day.
So I took a
leap of faith
and left my accuser, and
took on
a new role. Single
Mother.
And I cleaned and
dusted and swept
and vacuumed.

Twenty years later…

I helped
Emma and her new husband clean
their apartment. 
Dust, sweep, vacuum.
With windows open
to fresh air, I heard it—the intimate
carol of bells.
Job complete, I followed
the call to the empty chapel,
doors open, pews waiting
for me
to slide in.
In the stillness, my breathing
deliberate, I inhaled
the familiar aroma
of ancient wood and Murphy’s Oil.
My hand followed the smooth curve
of the pew splashed with the glow of a
stained glass window, a magnificent picture
"Instinctively I knelt and waited for a message."
of Jesus praying in the garden before
the accuser arrived.
My eyes focused
on the inscription:
“Dedicated to those who use this chapel
as a house of prayer.”
Instinctively I knelt and waited
for a message. And then it came
Those church bells
rang out an Easter hymn about a
risen Savior, a resurrected life,
resounding Alleluia!
Alleluia! 
It is a new period in my life! 
Time to resurrect
hope, bring to life
old dreams, for this broken glass
has been fitted together and
stained by the Master Artisan.
And sunlight floods my soul,
lighting my path like fireworks on
Independence Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!