Saturday, September 1, 2018

Paced for the Weekend: How are you moving?


O God, you cause abundant showers to fall on your chosen people.
When they are tired, you sustain them.

It’s one of those mornings when I walk around with marshmallow feet. I dare not make a sound that would disturb the love-tones, lulling my spirit. The rhythm of rain, splashing on broad leaves of canna lilies. Hummingbirds, humming in key. And the hushed whisper of God, telling me I am right where I’m supposed to be. The quiet answer to prayer.

It had been a hard week, one that started with sickness and ended with exhaustion, as I pressed through to order my classroom for the start of school. And then I wondered how I should spend the three-day weekend. Travel to be with family to celebrate birthdays and the last official hurrah of summer? I deserved that, didn’t I? I missed my family. But I would have to contend with busy holiday weekend traffic and the expense. Or should I stay home to rest and prepare for the upcoming week and save money in so doing?

Lord, give me wisdom to make the right decision, I prayed.

But I wrestled with tormentors that climbed into bed with me last night. As soon as I pushed one out, another rolled close to me, gabbing on and on about tomorrow. After half a night of tossing and turning away from those pests and positioning pillows to drown out their voices, I finally heard the voice of truth, “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own” (Matthew 6:34).

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).

Okay, God, I give this to You, I surrendered and drifted off to sleep.

This morning, as I see beyond the screened porch, I know He’s got this. This whole world resplendent with the glories of His creation. And me, at peace in my porch rocker, perfectly paced for the weekend.

Dear God, because of You I lie down and sleep in peace (Psalm 4:8). In the morning, I am like the leaves of the lily, refreshed by the rain. You give abundant showers to the tired (Psalm 68:9) and abundant wisdom to the needy (James 1:5). Thank You for setting the pace for my weekend. Slow-motion all the way. Amen.


3 comments:

  1. I am glad that you have chosen to relax. Your family loves you and wants you healthy and happy! Your references to His word were just what i needed to read πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happier when resting in the Lord. We weren't designed to be over-scheduled. GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!