Saturday, August 25, 2018

As a Man Thinketh...What are you thinking of Today?

Brothers and sisters, continue to think about what is good and worthy of praise. Think about what is true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected.

Every time I go outside and look at the zinnias beside the house, my eyes go straight to the dirty siding instead.


When I look at those that line my sidewalk, my eyes go to the dead leaves that flank the bottom of the flowers. It is not a pleasing sight. 


However, when I sit at my kitchen table with my window open wide, the sight of those same flowers, their faces looking up at me, takes my breath away. 


The difference is in my perspective.

Our view on life, or even ourselves, can be much the same way. We can focus on the negative and miss the beauty before us, or we can zoom in on the good things and be awed by how blessed we truly are.


The first section in Chapter 4 of Apostle Paul’s letter to the Philippians is dubbed “Some Things to Do” (Easy-to-Read Version). He includes the following: help others, rejoice, be gentle and kind, don’t worry, pray, give thanks, and think about good things. He concludes by saying, “And the God who gives peace will be with you” (vs. 9).

It makes sense, doesn’t it? If we do what he prescribes, like helping others and staying positive by thinking about good things and giving thanks, we are bound to have peace. On the contrary, if we are consumed with negativity and worry about everything, like all the things on our to-do list (such as gardening and cleaning the siding or hiring someone to do it for us and worrying if we can afford it), we will miss the beauty of the day.

One of my favorite quotes from the new Christopher Robin movie is:

Winnie The Pooh: What day is it?
Christopher Robin: It's today.
Winnie The Pooh: My favorite day.

Today is one of those good things Apostle Paul was referring to. Today is a blessing. Once it is gone, we can never get it back. Let's not waste it by worrying or being negative. Let's find “some things to do” and savor it till the last second.

Dear Lord, thank You for Today and all its beauty. May I not waste it by focusing on the negative or worrying about Tomorrow. Instead, Lord, help me to keep my mind on the good and my heart at peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!