Thursday, May 21, 2020

Carrying Out Your Mission: Why making your bed is important


Have confidence in the Lord with all thy heart, and lean not upon thy own prudence. In all thy ways think on him, and he will direct thy steps.

“Do you always make your bed?” my niece remarked as she peeked through my open bedroom door.

Taken aback by her unexpected question, I wanted to say, “Why, of course!” Instead, I answered, “Honestly there are days I don’t, especially if I’m in a hurry. But if I’m having company, most definitely. It does make me feel better when I do.”

Since our exchange, I have pondered that question—and my response. Why do I feel better when I make my bed?

You probably know that the military are required to follow strict guidelines on making their beds each morning. One reason is to establish discipline. Another is to teach attention to detail, a vital trait to have on mission. Also, making a bed is a simple task that can be completed quickly, giving a sense of accomplishment that sets the tone for the day. First mission accomplished. What’s next?

Perhaps that sense of accomplishment is why I feel better when I make my bed too. Also, I like to slip between smooth sheets at night, not a tangled up mess of covers.

I am reminded of the saying, “You’ve made your bed; now lie in it.” In this statement, making your bed refers to making and implementing decisions, then living with the results.

Many of us lie awake at night on our beds, tossing and turning in a tangled up mess, worrying and pondering over life situations, wondering what direction to take. We fret over making the right decisions. How can we rest peacefully?

The Bible says, “It is vain for you to rise up early, To sit up late, To eat the bread of sorrows; For so He gives His beloved sleep” (Psalm 127:2).

It’s vain to think it’s all on us, to worry and fret and lose sleep over it. It’s not all on us; God is our source. Therefore, let’s take a tip from King David: “When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches. Because You have been my help, Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice” (Psalm 63:6-7).

Instead of tossing and turning in a tangled up mess of covers, let’s turn our thoughts to the One who has us covered. Then let us get some peaceful sleep.

In the morning, let us “make our bed,” prepare for our day and the decisions ahead by following a regular morning routine, a daily discipline that includes time with God. Give Him the first fruits of our day by turning our thoughts toward Him in prayer and in the study of His Word. He invites us to come to Him, to cast all our cares on Him, for He cares for us and pays attention to all the details of our life (Matthew 11:28, 1 Peter 5:7, Psalm 37:23). When we pour out our hearts to Him, He will pour out His Spirit on us (Psalm 62:8, Acts 2:17). The Holy Spirit will show us the way to go, through revelations in His Holy Word, His still small voice, and the confirming counsel of others (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Each day we are on a mission. Some days our mission is clear and we have the confidence to carry it out. Other days we are hit with an unexpected mission in unfamiliar territory. How do we respond? Just as confidently. You see, when we consistently “make our bed”—do our part by doing what we know to do—we can rest in knowing He will show us the way through.


This morning I made my bed. Upon exiting my room, I pivoted and peeked through the open door, taking in my neatly made bed of roses. I exhaled a peaceful sigh, trusting the presence of God. I know that every day will not be a smooth bed of roses, so to speak. There will be thorny days of bitter circumstances, but God is constant. He will be with me through it all. He is always my company.


Lord, Your Word says, “You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you (Isaiah 26:3)!” Help me to stay focused on You, to give You first place in my life, my first thought in the morning and my last at night (Hebrews 12:2, Matthew 6:33). When I do, You will direct my path and give me the wisdom and strength to confidently carry out the mission you have marked out for me (Proverbs 3:6, Philippians 4:13, Hebrews 12:1). Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful bed of roses & words to ponder!💐💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words spoke to my heart. It was like you wrote just for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Holy Spirit must've had something to do with it ;). Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!