Friday, January 7, 2022

Hope Works: the journey to transformation

And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

--Romans 5:3 - 5


I have a strong affection for dragonflies. The semblance of one dangles from my key ring; another is pressed into the blue glass ornament that hangs in my kitchen window, while others are imprinted on my porch cushions. Seeing dragonflies flutter about my flower gardens is a feast for my eyes. So what gave birth to this insect attraction?



It all began seven years ago. Because of my connection to the Maryland Writers Association, I became aware of a call for submissions to an arts magazine to be published by HopeWorks of Howard County. Founded in 1978, HopeWorks is a private nonprofit agency that works to eliminate sexual and domestic violence by providing shelter, counseling and advocacy, increasing community awareness, and changing societal attitudes. Sharing the heart of its mission, I knew I had to submit and set out to give voice to my own transformative journey. In the words of a poem I called “My Grandmother’s Chair,” I poured out my deep emotional struggle to break free from an abusive marriage. My poem was accepted for publication in the 2014 issue of the magazine, entitled Dragonfly, its name derived from the centuries old symbol for change - “a special type of transformation, one wrought from crises but ending in self-realization and a deeper understanding of the meaning of life” (Hill, Jennifer. Dragonfly, 2014).



As I penned my words, I wove in the dialogue between Fear and Faith that ensued at that pivotal moment of my journey. 


Fear doubted, How can I? 


How could I go on? How could I leave, find shelter and support my children? 


Faith responded, “Put your hope in God.” 


GO! ENOUGH! GO!


As I began packing belongings, Fear questioned yet again, How can I?


Faith reminded, “Hope does not disappoint.”


Faith won out that day in 1995. And as I reflect on the years that have since passed, the words of Faith have proven true. God has come through for me - time and time again.


Hope does not disappoint. Hope drives us to persevere through the tough times, trusting that something better awaits on the other side. In the process, we grow stronger in character and in faith and can endure even more. 


When we see the evidence of God’s power at work in our lives, we know He hears our prayers and has our best interest at heart. Even if the waiting is long, we have hope. We know He’s working. He’s working all things together for good (Romans 8:28). 


Over the years as I struggled as a single parent, I prayed for a helpmate. I met men; relationships formed, but none worked out. Still, I never gave up. I continued to pray and trust, believing God would come through. Today, twenty-five years after my divorce, I am engaged to a godly man, Robert, and we are planning our wedding. Recently, we toured wedding venues. As I stood next to him on the grounds of Lower Notley Hall Farm, a warmth surged in my heart and tears wet my eyes. I knew this was the place we would recite our wedding vows. Robert felt it too. Yet, for practicality sake, we toured a couple other venues before making our final decision. After it all, we came back to Notley and signed the contract. As we drove out the cedar-lined lane, we decided to stop at the end to snap a photo of the sign. It was there that I saw it. A dragonfly logo above the name. 



Time for a new change.


Hope works.


Dear God, thank You for the trials You have allowed in my life. You knew the transformation they would bring. As I enter this new phase of my journey, I thank You for the blessing of a partner, my answer to prayer. And I trust You to be with me through it all, giving wind to my wings, as I transition from singlehood to marriage. Amen.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!