Thursday, December 24, 2020

I am a Gingerbread House: A Poem



I am a gingerbread house,
My frame made
From the finest ingredients
Imported from a secret place.[i]
I proudly stand up on my own,
Four sides and a roof,
But on the outside I am drab,
Too plain to gain attention.
So I paint my face with sweet paste,
Design windows and a door,
But they are fake and do not open;
You can’t get in or see into my core.
I add colorful confections,
Which sparkle, shimmer, and shine
And cause a glimmer of interest from passersby,
A glance here, a glance there.
But they don’t linger,
So I work harder.
I pile on pretty treats
Till my top is covered—
And heavy.
Some notice,
Some like, some tweet,
But my sides grow weak
I wobble under pressure
My seams crack
I can’t hold it together
I fall apart
My walls sprawl open,
Revealing all my emptiness
I am a broken mess,
Racked with sobs,
Hold me, hold me, hold me
He hears me
The One Who holds all things together[ii]
Hastens to my rescue
And upholds me with His everlasting arms[iii]
Enfolds me with His love,
Fixes all my broken pieces,
And fills me with unsurpassing peace[iv]
He sets a flickering flame in place
And turns this gingerbread house
Into a dwelling house for Him.[v]

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. Thank you, Desiree, for reminding us that “in Him all things hold together,” even our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad we have our Lord and Savior to keep us together!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!