Saturday, November 28, 2020

If You Were A Decoration: Celebrating the beauty of our differences

 

God has given each of you some special abilities; be sure to use them to help each other, passing on to others God’s many kinds of blessings. Are you called to preach? Then preach as though God himself were speaking through you. Are you called to help others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies so that God will be glorified through Jesus Christ—to him be glory and power forever and ever. Amen.

1 Peter 4:10-11 

As we were winding down our First Place 4 Health virtual session, our leader Annie explained her idea for our celebration class, “I thought it would be nice to celebrate each other. I’d like to compile statements from each member about each other member to share in our class…thoughts of how you have been touched, inspired, encouraged, what makes them special, or what God given talent you see in them. I thought this would be fun and heartwarming for our group.”

In keeping with our usual discipline, Annie chose a Scripture for us to memorize this final week of the session, 1 Thessalonians 5:11: “So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.”

I began typing my thoughts about each of the eleven women when an idea sparked. Could I do something more? What about a poem for each one?

Inspired by an activity from a long-ago Christmas party, I started with the same opening lines, “If you were a decoration hanging on my tree, this is the decoration I think you’d be.” I pondered over each lady, then completed the verse by entering a decoration that I hoped encapsulated her special characteristics. For our lovely golden-haired leader who always exudes the joy of the Lord, I wrote:

You would be a bright gold star

Hanging on the highest limb

To lead and point

Our group to Him 

For our co-leader Carla who uses her great creativity and organizational skills to arrange fun activities and keep us on track, I wrote:

You would be a pretty red bow

Tied up nice & tight

Because you are a detail girl

Making sure everything’s just right 

I continued writing until I had completed a poem for each woman in our group, including our newest member Peggy and her co-worker, longtime group member Shelly. Former missionary and teacher, Shelly knowledgably leads our weekly Bible study discussions, helping us extract the treasures and connect the dots. 

Annie collected our special messages, then Carla created a beautiful slideshow to present them. On the night of our celebration, each lady took turns reading those precious words of affirmation that encouraged and built each other up. As one read, another wiped her eyes. When messages were read to me, I was overwhelmed by a rush of warmth. My eyes watered. I was truly humbled. 

The slideshow ended with my poems. Alphabetically ordered, Shelly’s was last. I read: 

If you were a decoration hanging on my tree,

This is the decoration I think you’d be

You would be Rudy

With your “knows” so bright

To lead us through Bible study

Every Thursday night 

I barely got the words out of my mouth before Shelly exclaimed, “That’s perfect! Look what I’m wearing!” She adjusted her camera so all could see her red pullover, emblazoned with an image of Rudolph and the name of one of her favorite places, Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort.


We all burst out laughing, then Carla chimed in, “And the red bow was perfect for me too! So far I only have up one Christmas decoration, a big red bow hanging on my wall!”

Then Peggy, who I had likened to a light connected to the strand, piped up, “And you didn’t know it, but I’m the light queen! This place will be all lit up!”

After our roars of laughter and a chatty exchange of gratitude, Shelly remarked, “Because we are all different, that’s what makes the tree beautiful.”

“And there you are, connecting the dots again,” I smiled, for I knew she was right.

“Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other. In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you. If your gift is serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, teach well. If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly” (Romans 12:4-8).

God has given us all different gifts to use in helping each other. He wants us to use these gifts to the fullest and with glad and sincere hearts. When we do so, not only will we build each other up, but we will also glorify God in the process.

Our night turned out to be just as fun and heartwarming as Annie had hoped. I’m sure God had a little something to do with it. I am also sure that when we let our lights shine, we warm His heart too.

Dear God,

I want to be a decoration hanging on Your tree, to be all that you created me to be. And from my good friend Carla’s poem to me, I want to be:

Like a Candle

Shining words from Your heart

To lead others to the brightness

And help ignite a fresh start

 

Amen.



6 comments:

  1. Amazing! God even blessed our fun! Very cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did bless the fun! Did you do something like this with your group?

      Delete
  2. COOL, I relived this special night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your hard work in putting together the beautiful slideshow! It added to the special messages and my surprise poem from you! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Desiree, that is SO sweet! I know the ladies in your group are truly blessed to have you in it.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!