Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentines for the Soul: Nothing will come between us


For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

How many times have you attended a wedding and witnessed the happy couple, pledging their love to each other? Perhaps they recited vows they wrote themselves or the traditional wedding vows as follows:

"I, ___, take thee, ___, to be my wedded husband/wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith [or] pledge myself to you."

How many times have you heard a love-stricken couple declare, “Nothing will come between us?” Perhaps you have been the subject of that declaration or maybe you made that statement yourself.

But how many times has something come between them? How many times have wedding vows and love declarations been broken by the very things they swore would never separate them? Close to half of all marriages end in divorce, and one of the top reasons is money. For richer, for poorer? Another reason is addictions. In sickness and in health? Also, infidelity. To love and to cherish, till death do us part?

It’s clear, and very sad, that many of us break promises. But God does not. “God faithfully keeps his promises” (1 Corinthians 1:9 GW).

What God vows, He will do. “I will not dishonor my promise or alter my own agreement,” He says (Psalm 89:34).

God’s love will not fail (Psalm 136:1-2). His steadfast love is from everlasting to everlasting (Psalm 103:17). He will never leave you nor forsake you (Deuteronomy 31:6). He is there in the good times and the bad, times of wealth and health, financial crisis and illness. His faithful love endures forever (Psalm 136).

Nothing will ever come between you and the love of the Lord.

Dear God, I know You keep Your covenant of love for a thousand generations (Deuteronomy 7:9). Your love will never fail me; Your vow will never be broken. Nothing will separate me from Your love.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!