Thursday, December 5, 2019

A Perfect Match: Does God care about minute details?


Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

I placed my package for the gift exchange on the table and then handed a bag to my good friend, Donnicia. I smiled, as I whispered, “And this is your birthday gift.”

“Oh, thank you,” she said and then went on to recount her frustration with herself. Busy with getting everything organized and set up for the women’s ministries’ Christmas party, she had forgotten to put on a necklace. “I feel naked without it,” she said, raising a hand to her chest.

I’ve known Donnicia for 25 years. She’s the pastor’s wife. But she is more than that to me. Over the years, she has been my burden-bearer, a listening ear, a prayer partner, and an encourager, and I hope I’ve been the same for her. We know each other well. I know how Donnicia always strives for excellence in everything she does, from her work in the ministry to her home life. And dressing for the occasion is no exception. Every outfit is well-coordinated and accessorized with matching jewelry. 

I knew without a doubt that she was frazzled, having left home without her necklace. But I also knew what was in the gift bag I handed to her. When she took a seat next to me at the table, I leaned over, “Did you open my gift?”

She smiled. “Is it something I’m going to want?”

“Well, I hope you’re going to want it,” I chuckled, “Open it and see.”

Her eyes sparkled as she unfolded the tissue paper. “I knew that’s what it would be!” She laughed and lifted the jewelry set for all the ladies at our table to see.

“Thank you! It’s the perfect color, too! See how God used you!”

As quickly as she could, she snapped the necklace around her neck. Then she removed the earrings she was wearing and replaced them with the ones from the set. A perfect match to coordinate with her outfit!

God knows that Donnicia cares about the details. He too cares about the details (Psalm 37:23) and delights in giving us what we desire. Jesus tells us not to worry about what we will put on (Matthew 6:25 ESV), for “your heavenly Father knows that you need them all” (Matthew 6:32 ESV). He will provide even necklaces, and sometimes He uses friends in the process.

Let us remember to “bear one another’s burdens” (Galatians 6:2), for we may be the perfect match to coordinate with a friend in need.

Dear God,
Thank You for the friends You have placed in my life to encourage and support. May I do the same for them. And thank You for being a friend to all of us, caring about even the minute details of our lives. Amen.


2 comments:

  1. I can totally hear her saying that to you, lol and also hear her husband's voice saying "see what God did!" and He does care about the big and the small and all the inbetweens in our lives! Love you Desiree!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!