Saturday, December 7, 2019

The Mysterious Bodyguard: Under his umbrella


He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Another package from Amazon arrived. I ripped into the box and pulled out an umbrella. I didn’t order an umbrella. Where did this come from? Maybe somebody ordered it for me.

I searched the box for a gift message, but there was none. I looked for a packing slip. Nothing. Hmm…perhaps the giver wants to remain anonymous. Maybe it’s from my church secret sister. I’ll find out soon enough.

When I learned at the reveal that my secret sister had been my good friend Felicia, I asked her about the umbrella.

“Nope. It wasn’t from me,” she said.

I checked with family members. They hadn’t ordered it either. Perhaps it was delivered to me in error. Maybe I should return it. I called Amazon. I explained about the mysterious umbrella. I read off some numbers on the label. The Amazon worker checked their records.

“I can’t find anything on this,” she said, “I have no idea where it came from. Keep it. Consider it a Christmas gift.”

Still puzzled but pleased, I chalked it up to God. It’s just like Him to do something like that.

I started to use the umbrella. I saw the brand name Bodyguard emblazoned across the tab and thought it was a cool name, appropriate too. I enjoyed how quickly the umbrella opened. When I pushed the directional arrow, it was up in a flash. How convenient!


Once again, I thought of God, my Bodyguard, there in a flash when I need Him. At the mention of His name, He covers me quicker than the umbrella (Psalm 91:4).

“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him” (Psalm 91:14-15).

No matter the storm, He is there. He commands His angels to guard me in all my ways (Psalm 91:11). He saves me from impending danger that may remain a mystery to me. Who can know how many times God has protected me from a car accident, my home from a natural disaster, or my loved ones from fatal illness (Psalm 91:5-10)?

I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust” (Psalm 91:2).

Dear God, thank You for Your vigilant watch. I rest under your umbrella, Lord, and know that I am safe. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!