Sunday, December 1, 2019

The Message of Hope, Wrapped Up in a Shawl


But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

“Wake up! It’s Christmas!” my sister, Mary, called to me from my bedroom door.

“It’s Christmas!” my siblings echoed, waiting in the hallway for all to gather.

I quickly arose and joined them. We took off down the stairs, feet flying, hearts pounding. Mary flipped the living room light switch, illuminating the long-awaited scene, gifts piled high on every chair and couch. Eyes wide open, we scanned the room, each of us quickly locating our own pile.

Mom and Dad joined us, and we took turns opening our gifts from them. When it was my turn, I tore off the gift wrap, removed the top from the box, and pulled out a hand-crocheted shawl. My mouth flew open.

“What! You made this, Mom?” I exclaimed, “How did you do that without me knowing?”

Without waiting for a response, I wrapped the shawl around my shoulders, imagining myself wearing the shawl to church and all the teen group dances.

Now, more than 40 years later, I envision Mom working on the shawl while I was away at school or long after I had gone to bed. I see her hands skillfully maneuvering the crochet hook up and down, interlocking stitches one after the other until the shawl took shape.


My mother knew my heart and how I longed for an all-the-rage shawl. It was her desire to sacrifice her time, and even her sleep, to give me what I hoped for. Our heavenly Father knows our heart even more intimately. He hears our prayers; He sees our pain. He knows what we long for, whether it is healing from a sickness or a broken heart, relief from financial strain, or restoration of a relationship. Whatever the need, He knows. He has a plan and is working it out. Most of the time, we don’t see Him at work. In the waiting, we may doubt and question. Does He truly care? All the while, He is working behind the scenes, just as my mother was working on my shawl. In His perfect timing, His gift will be revealed, and it will be better than anything we could have ever imagined (Ephesians 3:20).

During this season of Advent, let us remember God’s plan to bring forth the long-awaited Savior and how it was made manifest through the sacrifice of His one and only Son, Jesus. May it encourage us today and give us hope that He is working out all the details of His plan for us (Romans 8:28), for “He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” (Romans 8:32).

Dear Father, on this first Sunday of Advent, may I remember and give thanks for Your indescribable gift of Hope, which came wrapped up in a shawl. Because of Jesus, I have this blessed assurance that “Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him” (1 Corinthians 2:9 KJV). Amen. 



5 comments:

  1. Desiree, this is SO beautiful! What a wonderful way for your Mom to express her love for you! I would imagine that the shawl is still one of your most prized possessions. It's very meaningful how you related this to the love of God. Thank you for sharing this with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thank you, Joe! Yes, it is. I appreciate you commenting :).

      Delete
  2. This was even better reading it the second time!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!