Wednesday, December 4, 2019

First the Singing, Then the Sudsing: Pressing on toward Christlikeness

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
—1 John 1:9

One of my favorite Christmas gifts from my students was a musical hand soap dispenser. When I pressed on the dispenser, Christmas music played, and then the soap came out. It made me think of Jesus. The night He was born, an angel appeared to the shepherds to make the announcement. Then suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests” (Luke 2:10-14).

I related the dispenser’s Christmas music to the angels singing. But what about the soap?

Jesus came to earth to become our Savior, to save us from sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

First the singing, then the sudsing.

I also see another parallel.

The Bible says “there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents” (Luke 15:10).

When one of us comes to repentance and accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior, there is great rejoicing in heaven. I believe that includes music.

Our sins are forgiven and we are saved from what we deserve. Instead, we inherit eternal life, which we do not deserve. But just because we are saved, that doesn’t mean that all our bad habits immediately disappear.

The Apostle Paul says that we are to continue to work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12). Sanctification is a process. We must actively press on toward the goal of Christlikeness—cleaning up our act, so to speak. But we are not alone in the process. God has given us a helper, His Holy Spirit. He is our Advocate, who comes alongside us to assist and guide us in the way of truth. He reminds us of Scripture, which is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16). When we apply this instruction to our lives, we will see the transformation take place.

Pressing on toward the goal of Christlikeness

First the singing, then the sudsing.

This time of year many might consider attending a Christmas Eve service, but then dismiss the idea, thinking they have to clean up their act first, before entering a church. Some have even joked about it, “If I walk through those church doors, the roof will fall in!”

But, as Saint Augustine said (unverified), “The church is not a hotel for saints; it is a hospital for sinners."

“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick” (Jesus, Matthew 9:12).

You don’t have to be completely well in body, soul, and mind to enter a church. Just come as you are. Open your heart to Jesus this Christmas.

Remember, first the singing, then the sudsing.

Dear Jesus, I admit I’m a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. Thank You for paying the price for my sins by Your death on the cross. Today I open my heart to You and accept You as my Lord and Savior. I trust You to help me as I journey toward becoming more like You. Amen.

Note: Of course you don’t have to go to church to give your heart to Jesus, but a church is a good place to help with the sudsing process. You will have a whole new family to encourage you and pray for you.

Here’s a song to encourage you, Come As You Are by Crowder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!