Monday, December 16, 2019

What if Life Came in Packages? Would You Unwrap Them All?


Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

I attended my granddaughter’s school Christmas program on Friday and was delighted by the present parade. Each student was dressed as a present, most of them wearing a cardboard box covered in gift wrap, as was Addison’s costume. Of course, I had to take her picture. Later I thought, What a cute Christmas card that would make if I could get all ten of my grandchildren to wear cardboard gift boxes! They are all certainly gifts to me. Anyone who is blessed with (grand)children would most likely agree, as children bring joy.

The Gift of Addison


What if all of life came to us in packages? The good and the bad. Our spouse, our job, our children, as well as cancer, unemployment, and car accidents. Would you shake the boxes to try to determine what’s inside before opening them? What if you unwrapped one child, would you take a chance and keep unwrapping in hopes of a second, even though you knew you might unwrap a trial instead?

The apostle James, brother of Jesus, says, “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials” (James 1:2).

How can a trial be a good gift? How can it bring us joy?

I remember a particularly difficult time in my marriage when I didn’t know if I could continue to go on. The arguing, the insults, and the violent episodes were too much to bear. I left for a while to stay with church friends, my two-year-old gift, Timmy, in tow. I needed a reprieve from the adversity and time to seek direction from God. Should I stay in the marriage or should I leave permanently? One night, while in my friends’ home, I prayed with Timmy before bed. I went on to sleep myself. Then later in the night I was awakened by a voice, “Hebrews 12:2.”

I woke with a start, “What? Hebrews 12:2? Is that you, Lord? What are you saying?” I didn’t know the Scripture referenced, so quickly I grabbed my Bible and flipped to the page. I read, “We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne” (Hebrews 12:2).

The word “endure” jumped out at me. “That’s what you want me to do, isn’t it, Lord? You want me to endure.”

I decided to go back to my husband. Did my marriage get better? At times. Then the bottom would drop out and it would be worse than ever. It was a trial. A year after I heard the word from God, my husband and I were living in different parts of the home. Christmas was coming, and my wish was that we would be a happy family for the holidays. On Christmas Eve, I went out to buy last-minute stocking stuffers. Something told me to pick up a pregnancy test too. On Christmas morning, I used the test, and it came back positive. Would the news of a baby unite us? I wrote BABY on a slip of paper and wrapped it in a tiny gift box. I stuffed the box into the toe of my husband’s stocking. When he unwrapped the box and read those words, tears shone in his eyes.

If I had not endured, there would have been no baby to unwrap. No Rebekah. I grieve to even think about it. What if I had known ahead of time all the trials I would have to unwrap before I got to her, would I still have done it?

Rebekah was a good gift. She is a good gift. But having her didn’t change our marriage. It was like a roller-coaster. To get to the highs, I had to endure the lows.

Three years later, I unwrapped another good gift, Emma. If I had known ahead of time all the trials in my marriage that I would have to unwrap before getting to her—rejection, destruction, violence—would I still have done it?

Of course, I would. All three of my children are good gifts and worth far more than any of the trials I endured.

God doesn’t tell us everything that will happen in our future. We couldn’t handle it if He did. But there is one gift in which He does reveal the contents. It is the most beautiful gift ever, the gift of Jesus. If we unwrap this gift and accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, we will have an eternal home in heaven, an eternal glory that far outweighs our light and momentary troubles (2 Corinthians 4:17).

In the meantime, we can consider it all joy, for the trials of life are faith-testers. They are meant to draw us unto God. When we call out to Him in our time of need, He will come through for us. He is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1). Trusting Him in trying times builds our faith and draws us even closer to Him. And a life lived in close communion with God is a good gift indeed.

Dear God, thank You for the indescribable good gift of BABY Jesus, a Savior for the world to unwrap. Thank You for the good gifts of children, grandchildren, and so much more. And thank You even for the trials I have endured because of Your ever-present help. Through it all, my faith has grown. Looking to Your example, Jesus, I know that no matter what I face in the future, I can endure it till the end because of the great joy that awaits. These trials are light and momentary compared to the eternal glory I will share with You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!