Friday, December 20, 2019

Ornaments on the Tree: What do they remind you of?


Ornaments on the Tree: What do they remind you of?

“Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand.”

When I pulled out the ornaments from the storage box, I smiled as if greeting old friends. I hung the sailing ship on a welcome branch and remembered how I had a part in the History Channel docudrama, Desperate Crossing: The Untold Story of the Mayflower. Next I lifted the theater ornament and found a home for it near the top of the tree. Near it I placed the masks of comedy and tragedy and the red hat lady snow woman. All three reminded me of my years of acting and directing the drama ministry at my church. Then I dangled a food utensil, which made me recall the years I led the First Place 4 Health ministry at my church. I uncovered a colonial caroler, bringing to mind the year I visited Williamsburg several times. I found the teacher ornament and remembered how in my 40s I had switched careers from accounting to teaching, how it required going back to college for education courses and studying hard to pass the teacher certification exam.

Then it struck me, This is not about you and all that you accomplished.

Christmas is a time of reflection, a time to remember all that God has done. It was only by His grace and empowerment that I was able to do any of these things. It was by the doors of opportunity that He afforded.

These privileges were blessings straight out of the Master’s hand, just as the blessings of children and grandchildren were, those too represented by their own ornaments. Nothing is wrought out of my own strength. I am but clay and He is the potter.

It was time for me to add another ornament to the tree. I reached way down into the box and pulled forth a clay cross. I hung it high on the tree, above all the other ornaments, a reminder of my greatest blessing. I gave thanks to the Master Potter, who has forgiven me of all my sins, including the pride of life, and has reworked this clay, molding and shaping me into who He wants me to be (Jeremiah 18:4).


When God cut off the waters of the Jordan River so that the nation of Israel could cross over, Joshua directed twelve men, one from each tribe, to erect stones as a memorial to what God had done (Joshua 4:1-7). Now when my eyes scan the ornaments that decorate my tree, I see them as my own stones of remembrance.

What are the stones of remembrance in your life?

Dear God, I repent for trying to take the credit for anything You have allowed in my life. I know it is all by Your divine providence. Thank You for how You have provided and made a way. Most of all, thank You for Your most precious gift, the One who hung on a tree for me. I love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!