Tuesday, December 3, 2019

The Christmas Brooch: Parting with prized possessions


“It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

I read the tag attached to the gift box, “Beverly! You were my secret sister? I had no idea!”

I proceeded to tear the wrapping paper from the box, then lifted the lid. What I saw made me gasp. The striking blue brooch I had once seen Beverly wear in church. As she had turned to greet me during the morning service, my eyes went straight to it. “Wow, what a beautiful pin!” I exclaimed, “The blue is absolutely stunning! I love it!”


I imagined it was a vintage piece from Beverly’s antiques store. Now, here it was in a gift box for me! I was overwhelmed. How could she part with what must have been one of her prized possessions?

Maybe there are several answers to that question.

Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35). He encourages us to give (Luke 6:30).

When we follow through and give a gift, as prompted by the Holy Spirit, we demonstrate obedience and experience joy. God is pleased, for Scripture says, “God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

This wasn’t the first time Beverly had given a gift to me. As my secret sister, she had lavished me with gifts throughout the year. And it wasn’t the first time she had given me a pin right off her lapel. In another church service, I noticed on her blazer a gold pin shaped like the letter D, the first letter of her last name.

I remarked with a grin, “I could wear that too,” with D being the first letter of my first name.

Without a moment’s hesitation, she removed the pin from her lapel and handed it to me, “Here, it’s yours.”

“Oh, no!” I protested, “I didn’t mean…”

But she wouldn’t take no for an answer, so I went home with the D pinned to my lapel.

Jesus said:

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:19-21).

Is Jesus saying we should steer away from accumulating wealth? No, He is speaking of a heart condition. Where are our priorities? When the rich young ruler asked Jesus what he must do to be saved, Jesus told him to sell all his possessions and give the money to the poor, and then he would have treasure in heaven. But the ruler was saddened. He went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property (see Mark 10:17-27).

What if Jesus asked us to do the same thing? Would we obey? Would we be as quick as my friend, Beverly, in giving away a prized possession?

When we give in obedience and love, we store up treasures in heaven. Our heart reflects the character of God, He who did not hesitate in giving us His most prized possession.

How do we respond to such a lavish gift? Are we willing to give Him our most prized possession—our heart?

Dear God, thank You for the lavish gift of Your Son. I offer my heart to Jesus today; I accept Him as my Lord and Savior. May Your Holy Spirit help me to let go of sinful ways, like hoarding earthly treasures. Instead, may I become a cheerful giver and store up my treasures in heaven. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!