Saturday, December 14, 2019

Let Your Light Shine: Don't let Satan blow it out


Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Do you remember as a child singing that song, “This Little Light of Mine?” How about that verse, “Don’t let Satan blow it out?”

Well, I remember a time when he almost did. But it took a little child to reignite my flame.

The year 1995 was the most difficult year of my life, the year that domestic violence drove me to leave my husband for my own safety and the well-being of my children. After I left, the violence didn’t end but escalated till my husband was behind bars and I was beat-down, emotionally and mentally broken. I found a safe place to heal in returning home to my parents and relying on God to strengthen and provide for me. During this time I put my faith to the test in so many ways. Would God come through as promised in His word?

Yes, time and time again. He did come through, and He used friends, family, and my church to do so. He protected me in a life-threatening situation and directed me in making life-changing decisions. He provided food, finances, and more for me and my family and guided me along the pathway for my life. His presence was very real to me and His work in my life miraculous. He gave me the strength to endure, and through it all my faith grew. How could I deny Him? Rather I had to shout it out.

In 1996, I knew God wanted me to share my story with others. Pastor set aside some time for me to give my testimony in church. Those that heard it responded with positive feedback, but something told me I wasn’t finished. I had to take my story outside of the walls of the church, to those who desperately needed to hear it, women like me who had experienced domestic violence.

I contacted the local women’s shelter and was welcomed by the director, Desiree (yes, same name). I explained to her my story, “Do you think the women would be interested in hearing it?”

“Absolutely! They need to know there is hope.”

We scheduled a time for me to come on Wednesday the following week. I prepared an outline and collected newspaper clippings. My excitement grew as the days grew closer to Wednesday.

Then one day at work, my employer shared some devastating news, “We are considering downsizing and may eliminate your position.”

What! I can’t lose my job! How could I support my family?

Later at home, I called my friend, Wade, about the situation, “I don’t know what I’m going to do. And to top it off, I’m supposed to go to the shelter on Wednesday to share my story and encourage other women. How can I do that now that I’m losing my job?”

“Isn’t your story about faith, how you trusted God and He came through for you? Where is your faith now?” he challenged.

“Mommy,” my six-year-old daughter, Rebekah, interrupted.

“Just a minute, Honey. I’m on the phone.”

“But, Mommy, look,” she insisted. “This is for you,” she handed to me a tiny pink candle, nestled in the cutest little candleholder I had ever seen, its sides decorated with a gray kitty sitting among pink flowers, pink my favorite color. “Tiffany gave it to me on the bus,” Rebekah continued. “She said, ‘Give this to your mother.’”


“Give it to me?”

“Yes, Mommy, that’s what she said.”

Why in the world would a child I barely knew say—?

Before I could finish my thought, I knew. When God directs!

God had orchestrated her actions and the words of her mouth to deliver a message to me, “Let your little light shine.”

I gasped the instant I grasped the message. My anxiety turned to joy, and I knew what I had to do, “Yes, yes, yes! I will have faith! I will let my light shine!”

I arrived at the shelter on Wednesday and Desiree directed me to the conference room. As I placed my notes on the table, women filed in.

“Why do we have to come here anyway?” I heard one grumble to another.

“I know. And I’m tired.”

Oh, no. This isn’t good, I began to doubt. Then in quick rebuke, I told myself, God sent you here for a reason. Let your light shine and let Him do the rest.

I picked up a newspaper clipping and read, “Woman Kidnapped by Estranged Husband,” then another, “Tale of Terror Travels Two Counties.” I continued, “The headlines are full of bad news. Bad news is everywhere. This is bad news,” I held up the paper. “This is about me. But I am here to bring you the good news.”

As I continued to share my story, the women began to open up. They nodded in empathetic agreement. They shared bits of their own story. They cheered over the good news of God’s providence. And to my surprise, they encouraged me.

By the end of the evening, those women who at first complained about coming to the meeting were asking me, “When can you come back?”

What if I had let fear and doubt stop me from letting my light shine? What if I had allowed Satan to blow out my light?

I do not know the measure of sharing my story with those women, but I do know it made a difference. I did go back on several occasions to visit, encourage, and shine my light. And by the way, I never did lose my job.

One of my favorite parts of my church’s annual Christmas Eve service is the lighting of the candles. It all starts with lighting one little candle. That candle is used to light another and another and so on until the church is aglow with the light of Christmas. Such a sacred moment and beautiful picture of how sharing our light with others makes a huge difference.

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (John 8:12).

All the darkness in the world cannot put out the light of one little candle.


How is God directing you to shine your light this Christmas?

Dear Jesus, You are the Light of the World and an ever-present light in my life. Thank You for lighting my way and giving me strength to overcome the darkness. Thank You for directing me to shine my light, as I share Your good news of hope to the hurting. Extinguish all fear and doubt in me, Lord, for You have never failed me yet. I love You.

2 comments:

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!