Monday, December 23, 2019

Personalized Stocking: Do you have one?


“Because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.”

Do you have a personalized Christmas stocking? I got mine more than 50 years ago. Mom took my siblings and me to a store to purchase ours. The personalization was done in store. I don’t know how it was done, but it appears to have been written by hand. While we waited for the personalization, Mom took us to see Santa in the same store. But I was too afraid to sit on his lap.

I was so proud of my new stocking. On Christmas Eve, I draped it over the chair where I wanted Santa to pile my presents. My siblings did the same. In the morning our designated present places were overflowing with gifts, our stockings bursting with apples, oranges, nuts, and candy canes.


Decades later I no longer drape my stocking over a chair, but I hang it on a nail for sentimental reasons. It reminds me that my journey in life is also personalized. God has a plan for me—for all of us, but unfortunately we sometimes choose to go our own way. The Bible says,” There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death” (Proverbs 14:12).

Instead “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6).

There is a saying that “father knows best.” But why are we afraid to trust that our heavenly Father knows best? Is it because we haven’t established a relationship with Him? We’re afraid because we don’t know Him, like I didn’t know the Santa in the store.

God created each one of us. He knit us together in our mother’s womb. King David wrote, “Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be” (Psalm 139:16).

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).

How many times have we tried to go our own way and failed? How many times have we neglected to consult with God in advance and were met with chaos and confusion? Isn’t it time for us to wholly surrender to God, our Father, who knows us better than we know ourselves?

During this season of preparation, let us remember that because of God’s tender mercy He sent Jesus, the rising sun from heaven, to guide our feet into the path of peace. “If He did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” (Romans 8:32).

It’s time to draw near to God and surrender wholly to Him. Just as I left my open stocking for Santa to fill on Christmas Eve, open your heart to God. He will fill it beyond your wildest imagination and send your feet on the pathway that is perfectly personalized for you.

Allow Him to direct your ways, and you will walk in peace.

Dear Father, thank You for the peace that surpasses all understanding. May I never stray but stay fully committed to You and Your personalized plans for my life. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. My stocking is 48 years old. My girlfriend's mom made it. I still hang it to remember good times.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your feedback is appreciated!